HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jennmccabe

PostSubject: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Hello Friends! I am excited to kick off another year of our Three Way series with a clean, simple design trick : overlays! But since this is a Three Way post, we are not simply going to grab a bit of Word Art or a little border and plop it down over our photo. Let's jazz it up a bit and really create a bold statement, making our photo and the overall design shine on our pages!

Here's a peek at what I am going to be showing you in today's post.

Each one of these overlay ideas has a little something in common (except the fact that there is typography of course). That little something is a punch of color! Are you excited to try these design tricks? I hope so. The best part about these color overlay tricks is how simple they are. Let's get going:

For the first example, I took a black and white photo and added a rectangle block of color inside the photo area (I like this design better than the circle for my rectangular photo), but you can do this with any shape you'd like. I reduced the opacity to about 80%. I added a fun stroked border ... again a dotted or dashed line would be fun too. Get creative! And then I added my word art title using the Lobster font, a little dotted line and some extra text as a subtitle in Courier New Regular font.

Here's my page:

Now let's play with a gradient color overlay. This is another fun way to add a pop of unexpected color to a black and white image. I just made a box and filled it with a gradient that went from solid color to transparency and positioned it over the top 2/3s of my photo. I added a clean white frame and the same word art and dotted line as in the first example.

Here's my page:

And our third overlay design trick is probably my fave out of the three. It's a block of color but in a contrasting orientation than my photo shape. I reduced the opacity to about 75%. It covers part of the photo and gives us a place to add some text and design elements. Here's a tip though ... to really pull off this look you need to add some noise or grain to your block of color. If you have Photoshop simply use the Filter < Noise < add Noise feature (I went for a 10% value on my block of color). I added the noise to my black and white photo too! And I even went back to my second page (above) and added a bit of noise to the gradient color overlay because I really liked the look. In the first example, I left the rectangle clean with no noise.

Here's my page:

That's it for this Three Way series round up. I hope you are inspired to add a punch of color to your next photo!
Back to top Go down
CFile

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:26 pm

here is my sample of #1 Block  of color Overlay (I filled with a dark turquoise color and set blend mode to multiply... I used PRD's Vellum style for the light shadow and added white typeset on top)

Used font of PRD's - The First Case Regular and also used Norffo Regular
PRD's Gone to the Beach Journal cards and Summer Lovin kits

Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:34 pm

CFile wrote:
here is my sample of #1 Block  of color Overlay

Used font of PRD's - The First Case Regular and also used Norffo Regular
PRD's Gone to the Beach Journal cards and Summer Lovin kits

you must have been peeking while i was creating this thread !!! :mocqeur:

LOVE LOVE LOVE ... That teal is awesome and that photo is the coolest! But the challenge is to show our Scrap Spaces. If you celebrated Christmas, Santa would have said you are a naughty girl for peeking! I guess Hannakuh Harry doesn't teach that? :rofl:

ps ... i always put (IN PROGRES) up in the title while I am working these ... so you know they are still in progress and in case i change anything. AND sometimes the actual challenge will have more twists so please wait until you see the actual challenge before making your page. unless you are just inspired and want to do it for fun. ok? :heartshape:
Back to top Go down
CFile

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:36 pm

:( ok I was just trying to get a jump :grin: I really don't have a scrap space... I will wait. Hand slapped :rofl:
Back to top Go down
EllenT
CT member

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:38 pm

I'll make a page next week. We just pick one of the examples? I want to try the gradient because I always have trouble with that technique.
Back to top Go down
CFile

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:38 pm

oh and I do celebrate Christmas so I will get coal in my stocking! :)
Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:39 pm

i was like wow! that's the fastest sample page i ever saw! lol.

the challenge itself is always over in the challenge area. this is just where i plop down my blog posts for mirjam. it's such an awesome page ... it will be great to promote the Three Way blog posts in general when it goes live on the 12th of Jan.
Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:41 pm

EllenT wrote:
I'll make a page next week.  We just pick one of the examples?  I want to try the gradient because I always have trouble with that technique.

Please make sure you read the requirements in the actual challenge area of the forum! We want to see your scrap space ... even if it's a laptop on the chair in the living room. We are getting cozy and personal in Jan. :)
Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:42 pm

CFile wrote:
oh and I do celebrate Christmas so I will get coal in my stocking! :)

lol. i love that you were so eager to help and create a page. maybe mirjam will want to include this in the blog post. but i want the focus of the CT pages to be samples for the Challenges so the members can see more ideas for how to apply the challenges.
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Fantastic 3 way post jenn! Love your sample pages and scrap sapce!!! And I love your page tooChrista. Maybe we can write that this is your dream location to create your summer pages. From a room with a view of the beach! We'll make it work somehow!
And thanks Ellen! Can't wait to see your work space!
Back to top Go down
http://pinkreptiledesigns.up-with.com
CFile

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:21 pm

No problem... I will wait and redo
Back to top Go down
MrsPeel
CT member

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:28 pm

I ll make a page..... I have to say, Jen, you are my hero, girl.....

Mir: I may need to download some old stuff? I was suffering a bit when I made the SOSN page as the EHD I bou8ght is for Windows not Mac (yeah, dumb me, it says DESKTOP in the box LOL) so I haven't been able to restore mine that burn....
I dont need a coupon (I cannot believe this still........ !!!!!) but just wanted you to know.. also MOC without your kits...no way!!!!!
I maybe able to restore of I am good enough to go buy an EHD tomorrow, but anyway, LOVE the challenge, :biglove:
Back to top Go down
dvhoward

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:27 pm

Awesome 3-way Jen!! I'll try the gradient, too as that is the hardest technique for me to master. I can't tell you how many tutorials I watch on it and I STILL flub it every time UGH! I'll work on it today. I scrap on the end of my couch. Not pretty but it's where I make the memories.
Back to top Go down
CFile

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:45 pm

ok here we go.. I did all 3.. take your pick what you want to use :drinkspit: :mocqeur:

Credits: PRD Heimili (paper & elements)
fonts are Ostrich Sans Inline & The Bold Beauty by Heather Joyce

1: Shape (used multiply as blend mode)

2. Gradient

3. Contrast Shape Color overlay

Back to top Go down
MrsPeel
CT member

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:18 am

Christa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biglove: :biglove: :biglove: :biglove:
Back to top Go down
CFile

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:54 am

:) thank youCynthia
Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:29 am

Christa!!!! Now you are spoiling us!!!! My goodness woman. THANK YOU for doing one of each! I love that striped paper! Every page is gorgeous!

and ... I hope you will post your beach page too, when the Three Way post actually goes live? BC it is downright awesome! I can give a little reminder if you want?

Thanks ladies! Would it help if I tried to do a quick video tut on how to do the gradient? It's very easy to do but easier to see rather than explain in words!

Mirjam, would Laura let us use that screen cast thing for a tut for your blog? Or if it is a problem ... I can share here in the forum for us and then when the Three Way goes live ... put it in the TLP learning forum?

Let me know!
Back to top Go down
CFile

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:53 am

Glad you are happy Jenn... Use whichever style you don't have enough of and I will post the beach too when it goes live :)
Back to top Go down
Scrappydonna
CT member

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:14 am

i think i can do one, i hve a recent photo of my craft space.
Back to top Go down
MrsPeel
CT member

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:32 am

jennmccabe wrote:
Christa!!!! Now you are spoiling us!!!! My goodness woman. THANK YOU for doing one of each! I love that striped paper! Every page is gorgeous!

and ... I hope you will post your beach page too, when the Three Way post actually goes live? BC it is downright awesome! I can give a little reminder if you want?

Thanks ladies! Would it help if I tried to do a quick video tut on how to do the gradient? It's very easy to do but easier to see rather than explain in words!

Mirjam, would Laura let us use that screen cast thing for a tut for your blog? Or if it is a problem ... I can share here in the forum for us and then when the Three Way goes live ... put it in the TLP learning forum?

Let me know!

the screen cast thing is something anyone can join (proive is that I have an account!!! LOL)
I honestly doubt Laura would not want you to?
I'll make a page at least, once again Christa...... love LOVe and love more
and Jen.....
you told me you would get on Facebook to see Sarita's openi9ng night....album is up, even my album for the DYD...if you have a minute at some point, would love for you to see :)
Back to top Go down
MrsPeel
CT member

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:38 am

ohhh am reading the post and JUST realize about The Curious incident with the dog thing play.....we are looking for tickets to go with Sarita and the girls!!!!!!!
we are going to that and Bend it Like Beckam (that is a musical) the girls read the book (of the Curious incident) and wanna see the play, and as is Get Into London Theater month (you can get very cheap tickets for a couple of months) we will try make it :)
Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:14 am

Just popped on FB. Such amazing photos Cyn. Love. Sounds like it was a huge success. Curious was so good, so unique. Highly recommend. I have a little soccer girl in my home so she would love bend it like beckam! Hope you get good seats .. I am jealous you have cheap theater month in London. Wish Broadway had a cheap month. Major $$$. Or if be there every month!!! :)
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Christa that is AWESOME! :respect: Thanks SO much! :kiss:

And Cynthia by all means grab whatever you need! You do not need a coupon do you? If so let me know and I will make you one!
Back to top Go down
http://pinkreptiledesigns.up-with.com
dvhoward

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:44 pm

Here is my layout for the 3 Way | Designing with Overlays. I choose way #2 = Gradient Color Overlay. It actually turned out much easier than I thought it would.

Back to top Go down
CFile

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:48 pm

Diane, what an awesome job with the gradient transparency! I love your journaling too, and I am right with you re scrapping to the vintage TV shows. Lately I scrap to the Hallmark Channel! :) Great page!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]   

Back to top Go down

Jan 12th : Three Way | Designing with Overlays [SCHEDULED]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next